Why have a Blog for your class?What have I discovered?

Three years ago I was introduced to Blogs in a 2 hour session.  My knowledge of ICT was limited and it seemed a very time consuming process to implement into the classroom.  I was left bewildered about the functions.  I took on this unit to extend my own capabilities in using ICT in the classroom.  I was living in my comfort zone with Movie Maker, word, publisher, Claymation and have over the weeks not only extended my knowledge about available programs and how they could be used in the classroom but the ‘power’ of Blogs in the classroom, introduced to a safe social learning platform like Edmodo, social bookmarking and terminology (Glossary to Demystify the Jargon of the online World) I had no idea what it meant.  At times I’ve had to sit for a few hours to gain a clear understanding by manoeuvring my way slowly through functions and programs but with each day I am becoming more confident and increasing my knowledge.  Yet, still have a lot to learn.

I now have started a Blog on the Ultranet and will also start a Wiki on the Ultranet.  I have introduced Edmodo to a 5/6 class and am presently introducing Edmodo to other classes at the school.  The ease with which they were able to use the site goes to show student’s capabilities and their engagement when given a new site to work with.  The students have completed a poll and communicated with myself and others.  They will be completing a short assignment related to their Community Links hour.

Successfully gaining funds for the introduction of iPads into the school will give me the opportunity to monitor the use in classrooms,  gauging student engagement and enhancement in learning.   My knowledge of apps and even the ability to link the iPad to the IWB gives additional scope for teaching.

Contemplating the uses of a Blog in the classroom

•   Students publishing their work.
  •  Communication with parents on the areas being covered in subjects.
  •  Homework could be posted or links to sites for maths, spelling or Integrated Studies Units.
  •   Displaying work that the students have been involved in for the day to keep communication lines open with parents.
  •   Posting helpful hints for reading and maths.
  • Posing maths problems to solve.
  • Having a ‘word of the day’ which could be added by students from their reading.  This is a good way to increase student’s vocabulary and also create discussion at home.
  • Communicate coming events.
  • Student and parent discussion on activities completed in the class. 

A video on the use of the blog and wiki in the classroom I found to inform of additional uses for both.  Relevent to the next assessment task.